MARE is a whole-school interdisciplinary science program developed at the Lawrence Hall of Science offering year-round professional development opportunities, including events that immerse your whole school (faculty, students and families) in the study and celebration of the ocean. Rutgers University has supported MARE for over 15 years, and is now expanding the program to encourage the involvement of in-school and after-school clubs, including those sponsored by 4-H, for those schools who cannot make the investment in a whole-school program.
What is the MARE community?
Educators participating in the MARE community have the opportunity to:
- Gain training on marine curriculum for students in grades K-8
- Host an Ocean Week event at their school (optional for club programs)
- Participate in year round ocean science professional development opportunities
- Engage with an online community of New Jersey ocean educators about curriculum, lesson plans, field trips, ocean science activities, etc.
- Participate in a series of online webinars
- Bring their class or club to a Rutgers Ocean Day at the Cook Campus of Rutgers University in April
For more information about the East Coast MARE program check out the About MARE page.
How do I get involved?
The best way to become a MARE educator is to get trained by a MARE educator in your school. MARE is a turn-key program, in which educators who participate in the Summer Institute receive lessons and materials (for all subjects) they can share with other educators in their home school. For more information about getting started with MARE, visit the In Your Classroom page.
The MARE Blog
Check out the recent updates from participating educators! You can also subscribe to this blog vis RSS.
- Nice to meet you! July 19, 2012
- Oysters and Oyster Reefs in Your Classroom March 22, 2012
- Ocean Sciences in the Next Generation Science Standards March 22, 2012
- Ocean Themed Children’s Books March 22, 2012
- March 29th – Next Ocean Lecture & Educators’ Night March 6, 2012
- Registration Extended to Feb 17th for Rutgers Ocean Days February 9, 2012
- Jan 19th Ocean Lecture & Educators’ Night Materials Posted February 2, 2012
- Comments on Ocean Lecture & Educator’s Night January 23, 2012
- Lawrence Hall of Science New Ocean Science Curriculum Materials January 11, 2012